YETMINSTER AND HILFIELD

 

 

REPORTS

 

 

AND ACCOUNTS

 

 

PARISH OF YETMINSTER AND HILFIELD

THIS YEAR'S ACCOUNTS

For the accounts please click on the link below

pdf  STATEMENT OF FINANCIAL ACTIVITIES FOR YEAR ENDED 31st DECEMBER 2016

 

 THIS YEAR'S MINUTES

For the minutes please click on the link below

 pdfMINUTES OF THE ANNUAL PAROCHIAL CHURCH MEETING 19th MARCH 2017

pdf RECTOR'S REPORT

pdf SECRETARY'S REPORT

pdf CHURCHWARDEN'S REPORT

pdf DEANERY SYNOD REPORT

 

LAST YEAR'S MINUTES AND ACCOUNTS:

For the minutes please click on the link below:

pdfMINUTES OF THE ANNUAL PAROCHIAL CHURCH MEETING 16th APRIL 2016

For the accounts please click on the link below:

pdf  STATEMENT OF FINANCIAL ACTIVITIES FOR YEAR ENDED 31st DECEMBER 2015

 

 

YEAR BEFORE LAST  MINUTES AND ACCOUNTS: 

PARISH OF YETMINSTER AND HILFIELD
Minutes of the Annual Parish Meeting held on 18th April 2015, at 11am, at St Andrew’s Church, Yetminster


The Annual Parish Meeting was held at 11am in St. Andrew’s Church, Yetminster, for the purpose of electing one churchwarden; 16 parishioners were in attendance. The Reverend Anthony Gilbert opened the meeting with prayer. Mrs Valerie Rowsell, having offered herself as Church Warden, was proposed by Lady Clare Lindsay, and seconded by Mr Terry Terleske. Mrs Rowsell was therefore duly appointed as Church Warden. Nomination Form attached at Annexe A.
Minutes of the Annual Parochial Church Meeting held on 24th April 2014


1. Apologies for absence


Apologies for absence had been received from Mr William Shipman, Mr and Mrs Patrick Moule, Mr Aex Mitchell, Mr Brian Rowsell, Mr William Duggan, Mr Barrie Smallcalder, Mrs Linda Manaton, Mr and Mrs David Price, and Mr and Mrs David Gould.


2. Minutes of the previous annual parochial church meeting held on 24 April 2014.


The minutes having been circulated widely, were taken as read, and approved. Proposed by the Team Rector the Reverend Anthony Gilbert, and seconded by Mrs Valerie Rowsell.


3. Matters arising from these minutes


There were no matters arising.


4. Reports from the PCC to the meeting


- Electoral Roll
Mrs Audrey James, as Electoral Roll Officer, reported that the year had started with 75 members on the Roll. Four members had left the parish, and Mr Keith Carmichael had sadly died. We welcomed Mr and Mrs Fisher from Hilfield, Captain Hugh Drake and Mrs Christina Walkley from Yetmintser, and two new members Mr and Mrs Lafferty also from Yetminster, so the Roll now stands at 76. The Electoral Roll has been duly posted outside the church and forwarded to the Diocesan Secretary.


- Activities of the PCC and parish over the year
The Secretary, Lady Clare Lindsay, gave her report on the activities of the PCC meetings over the last year, which is attached at Annexe I. The Secretary gave a brief outline of the many and various matters discussed at the four PCC meetings over the past year. She also thanked the small army of volunteers who gave up their time unstintingly, and on whom we largely depend for the up-keep of our beautiful church and churchyard, with special thanks going to Prebendary John Parfitt and his wife Peggy, who are producing the excellent new Pew Sheets. The main items in the report covered the newly formed Three Valleys Team, of whom the Reverend Anthony Gilbert is now our Team Rector, the collapse of plans for leasing St Andrew’s Hall (since re-named The Jubilee Hall,) to the Yetminster Jubilee Trust, the Quinquennial Report and the continuing financial situation. Our Team Vicar, the Reverend Simon Brignall, will be leaving us in the Autumn to take up a new appointment as a Missionary in Chile, and Mr Barrie Smallcalder has retired – they both have the PCC’s sincere thanks and very best wishes for the future. We have welcomed the Rev Richard Kirlew and his family as Team Vicar.
The Team Rector, the Reverend Anthony Gilbert gave his Report on the first year of the Three Valleys Team, and his first eleven months since being installed as Rector on 8 May 2014. There had been much to learn, and much work to do to enable the churches to come together to form the new Three Valleys Team Benefice. The Team Rector explained that a new Benefice Team Council would take effect and the meeting agreed to this, the form being duly signed by The Rector and the Secretary. Report attached at Annexe II


- Financial statements
The Treasurer Mr David Price had previously circulated the financial statements for the PCC, copies of which were also distributed. These had been approved by the internal examiner, Mr David Smith FCA, and subsequently by the PCC at its meeting on 9 March. Adoption of the accounts was proposed by Mr Graham Plaice and seconded by Prebendary John Parfitt and signed by the Reverend Anthony Gilbert. Accounts attached at Annexe III.
Prebendary John Parfitt queried the payment of rent from Church Cottage. It was explained that most of the rent was now up to date, but that payments tended to be erratic. Prebendary John Parfitt also asked if there were now audited accounts for the Three Valleys Team. Mr Graham Plaice, as TVT Benefice Treasurer, explained that this is in hand and there is currently a transition period. Prebendary John Parfitt also advised that the true costs of running the church amounting to well over £100 per day should be more widely published. The Reverend Anthony Gilbert said that most of the running costs had to be met by regular giving. Mr Graham Plaice said he was optimistic about finances for the year ahead, and with the aid of fundraising the PCC is heading in the right direction. Mr Claudius Algar explained the Parish share is a vexed issue for Hilfield, and the Reverend Anthony Gilbert said he was meeting the Archdeacon soon to discuss this. Churches do not have to use the Ecclesiastical Insurance, but can choose another. Prebendary John Parfitt explained that the decision for Chapels of Ease and the Parish Share rests with the Diocese. Much discussion
followed and Mrs Valerie Rowsell said that Mr David Price had worked very hard on this issue and got nowhere. Mr Graham Plaice proposed a vote of thanks to Mr David Price for all his extremely hard work on the Accounts. The Team Rector also thanked the Treasurer for his hard work. The Accounts were then adopted by all present.


- Report on the fabric, goods and ornaments of the church
Church Warden Mrs Rowsell said the Church Property Register was in order, with nothing missing, and thanked all those who had helped with the checking, including Mr David Price, Lady Clare Lindsay, Mrs Judy Pyke, Mr Graham Plaice and Mr Barrie Smallcalder. She was very grateful to Mrs Moule for her outstanding work, originally with the NADFAS church recorders, and subsequently in her diligent maintenance of the records. The Register was duly signed by the Team Rector and the Church Warden.


- Report on the activities of the Deanery Synod
Mrs Judy Pyke gave her report attached at Annexe IV. There had been three Deanery Synod meetings since the APCM last year. There had been updates on Christian Aid, a report from Ezo, and a talk on Churches and Mission in the Deanery. The Bishop of Salisbury had posed three questions, namely… What do you pray for? Who do you serve? and How do you Grow? Canon Eric Woods has asked for more volunteer stewards for the Abbey.


5. Elections and appointments
Mr William Shipman and Mrs Judy Pyke will continue as Deanery Synod Representatives.
Mr Claudius Algar, Mr Simon Jones, Mrs Claire MacLeod-Ash, Lady Clare Lindsay, Mr Graham Plaice, Mr David Price, and Mrs Valerie Rowsell had all expressed their willingness to stand for re-election. Mr Alex Mitchell’s nomination to the PCC had been agreed at the last PCC meeting, and was now proposed by Lady Clare Lindsay and seconded by Mrs Claire McLeod Ashe. The PCC and Mr Mitchell were therefore duly elected by all those present.
The list of Sidesmen and ladies was presented to the meeting for approval: Secretary Mr Terry Terleske, with Mrs Arminal Dare-Bryan, Mr Bill Duggan, Mr David Fogden, Mr David Gould, Mrs Penny Gould, Mrs Frances Moule, Mr Patrick Moule, Mrs Sue Price, and Miss Joan Rusted. Mr Graham Plaice offered to join them and was gratefully accepted. The Election of Sidesmen and ladies was proposed by The Team Vicar and seconded by Mr Simon Jones, and duly approved by the meeting, with thanks from the Reverend Anthony Gilbert for all the Sidesmen and ladies do.
Independent Examiner: It was proposed by Mr Graham Plaice and seconded by Mrs Valerie Rowsell that Mr David Smith FCA be reappointed as independent examiner. All agreed.


6. Any Other Business
Mr Stuart Grant queried whether the bag or plate was necessary now that most people paid via the bank. The Team Rector said the new PCC would discuss this at the next meeting. Mrs Audrey James said that there were still some people using the envelope scheme. Much discussion followed and Miss Joan Rusted pointed out that there was always a good amount of cash in the collection. Mr Stuart Grant also asked for better use of the sound system – the loop system should always be in place and clergy should check they had their neck microphones attached. Sidesmen and ladies should check the standing mike was switched on. The Team Rector suggest using head mikes. Mrs Marie Sutton pointed out that the laity need to be rehearsed to give the best possible performance.
There being no other business, the Team Rector closed the meeting with prayer at 11.50am

 

To read the Statement'of'Financial'Activities'for'Year'ended'31st'December'2014 please click the link below.

pdf STATEMENT OF FINANCIAL ACTIVITIES FOR YEAR ENDED 31st DECEMBER 2014

 

******************************************************

PARISH OF YETMINSTER AND HILFIELD

Minutes of the Annual Parochial Church Meeting held on 24th April 2014, at 7.30pm, at St Andrew’s Church, Yetminster

The Annual Parochial Church Meeting was held at 7.30 pm in St. Andrew’s Church, Yetminster, for the purpose of electing one churchwarden; 22 parishioners were in attendance. The Reverend Simon Brignall opened the meeting with prayer. Mrs Valerie Rowsell, having offered herself as Church Warden, was proposed by Mr Terry Terleske, and seconded by Mrs Elizabeth Clothier. Mrs Rowsell was therefore duly appointed as Church Warden. Nomination Form attached at Annexe A.

Minutes of the Annual Parochial Church Meeting held on 24th April 2014

1. Apologies for absence

Apologies for absence had been received from Mr Graham Plaice, Mr William Shipman, Mrs Claire MacLeod-Ash, Mr and Mrs John Strover, Mr Simon Eadon, Mrs Sylvia Terleske, Mrs Marie Sutton, Mr and Mrs Michael Windridge, Mr Keith Carmichael, Mr and Mrs Patrick Moule, Mr and Mrs Rob Barfoot, Mr and Mrs Aex Mitchel.

2. Minutes of the previous annual parochial church meeting held on 15 March 2015.

The minutes having been circulated widely, were taken as read, and approved. Proposed by the Team Vicar, the Reverend Simon Brignall, and seconded by Mr David Price.

3. Matters arising from these minutes

There were no matters arising.

4. Reports from the PCC to the meeting

- Electoral Roll

Mrs Audrey James, as Electoral Roll Officer, reported that the year had started with 78 members on the Roll. Four members had left the village, and there had been two deaths, so the Roll now stands at 75. The Electoral Roll has been duly posted outside the church and forwarded to the Diocesan Secretary.

- Activities of the PCC and parish over the year

The Secretary, Lady Clare Lindsay, gave a report on the activities of the PCC meetings over the last year, which is attached at

Annexe I. The Secretary particularly thanked Mr Patrick Moule and Mr David Price for their help in her first year as PCC Secretary, and also thanked the small army of volunteers who gave up their time unstintingly, and on whom we largely depend for the up-keep of our beautiful church and churchyard. The main items in the report covered the newly formed Three Valleys Team, of whom the Reverend Simon Brignall is now Team Vicar, the forward progress of the Church Hall, and the worrying financial situation.

- Financial statements

The Treasurer Mr David Price, presented the financial statements for the PCC and for St Andrew’s Hall, copies of which were distributed. These had been approved by the internal examiner, Mr David Smith FCA, and subsequently by the PCC at its meeting on 2nd April. Accounts attached at Annexe II.

The accounts for the PCC showed a deficit of -£7,430 in the statement of financial activities. The total expenditure amounted to £44,000, of which £27,772 was given to the Diocese as the Parish Share. There had been a Stewardship campaign earlier in the year which had led to those who already give to the church, giving more. Prebendary John Parfitt queried why the Benefice Accounts are not audited. David Price had raised this issue over the last two years. Mr Barrie Smallcalder asked if the Benefice costs could be broken down into different parts. The Team Vicar explained that as the old Benefice was not a legal entity, there had been no legal requirement for auditing. The new Team Council will have legal status once set up, so audited accounts should be produced in the future. Mr David Fogden asked what could happen if we run out of money. David Price answered that it was up to the PCC to decide; not paying the Share was an option. Prebendary John Parfitt replied that theoretically the church could be closed. Mr John Nutt queried the Three Valleys Team finances. The Team Vicar explained that the Team would operate on a transitional basis until it was on a legal footing. The Team Vicar thanked the Treasurer for his hard work. The Accounts were adopted by a show of hands.

- Report on the fabric, goods and ornaments of the church

The Team Vicar said that the register of fabric, goods and ornaments of the church had been checked, and thanked Mrs Rowsell, Lady Clare Lindsay, Mrs Judy Pyke, Mr Graham Plaice and Mr Barrie Smallcalder for their work on this. He was very grateful to Mrs Moule for her outstanding work, originally with the NADFAS church recorders, and subsequently in her diligent maintenance of the records. The register was duly signed.

- Report on the activities of the Deanery Synod

Mrs Judy Pyke gave her report attached at Annexe III. Items covered included the Young Families Movement, Women and the Episcopate, Ezo in South Sudan, and Mission. The Reverend Graham Perryman is resigning as Rural Dean.

5. Elections and appointments

The re-election of Mr William Shipman and Mrs Judy Pyke as Deanery Synod Representatives were proposed by Mrs Valerie Rowsell and seconded by Mr David Price. They were duly elected.

Mr Claudius Algar, Mr Simon Jones, Mrs Claire MacLeod-Ash, Lady Clare Lindsay, Mr Graham Plaice, Mr David Price, Mrs Valerie Rowsell and Mr Barrie Smallcalder had all expressed their willingness to stand for re-election. Mrs Penny Gould queried whether PCC members who did not regularly attend St Andrew’s Church should sit on the PCC. The Secretary would check the rules and let her know. The re-election of the current PCC was proposed by Mrs Margaret Shipman and seconded by Prebendary John Parfitt, with one abstention. They were duly elected.

The list of Sidesmen was presented to the meeting for approval: Secretary Mr Terry Terleske, with Mrs Arminal Dare-Bryan, Mr Bill Duggan, Mr David Fogden, Mr David Gould, Mrs Penny Gould, Mrs Frances Moule, Mr Patrick Moule, Mrs Sue Price, and Miss Joan Rusted. The Election of Sidesmen was proposed by The Team Vicar and seconded by Mr Simon Jones, and duly approved by the meeting, with thanks from the Reverend Simon Brignall for all the Sidesmen do.

It was proposed by Mr Simon Jones and seconded by Mr Barrie Smallcalder that Mr David Smith FCA be reappointed as independent examiner.

6. Any Other Business

The Team Vicar’s report is at Annexe IV. Special thanks were given to all those who served and supported the Church in so many and varied ways.

Prebendary John Parfitt asked if, now we are moving into a new era with the Three Valleys Team Ministry, the Team would be reviewing the Services Rota for the 17 churches. He pointed out that the current Rota was an uneven pattern. The Team Vicar replied that nothing would happen in the first year, while the new Rector, the Reverend Tony Gilbert, settled in. Most people attend their own or a nearby church. Prebendary John replied that the current arrangements were too ad hoc and placed too much reliance on retired priests. If the services were re-ordered, more services should be taken by the Team priests. David Price pointed out that if services were scheduled at 9.30 and 11am, one priest could take both services. Prebendary John hoped the new Team Rector and Team Vicars would look at the offering of services across the Benefice, as the present pattern was unworkable. The Team Vicar thanked Prebendary John Parfitt, and said it was up to the new Rector to decide.

The Mothering Sunday Service had been held in the school, and after some discussion, The Team Vicar thanked Mrs Margaret Shipman and the Mothers Union for all they do, and also the ladies who do the teas and coffees and flowers, who are all volunteers.

There being no other business, the meeting closed at 8.50pm with prayer.

 

 

Below are 4 pages of the accounts for 2013.