St Andrew's church, Leigh, outside


St Andrew's church, Leigh, stained glass window East end North aisle


Formerly a chapel in the neighbouring parish of Yetminster, it became a separate parish church in 1849 and the churchyard was consecrated then.

Parts of the Church date from the 14th Century, with the addition of the Tower and South Porch in the 15th Century, and the North aisle in the 19th Century.
There is an excellent peal of six bells, retuned and rehung in 1995. Bands of ringers visit during the summer months.

There is a memorial near the vestry, commemorating a gift to the children of the Village School, now closed, of a blue coat and a red cloak to the most lovable boy and girl, chosen by their peers.

The main East window shows the crucified Christ between St Mary and St John, dating from about 1850. This and the chancel south window have been restored in 2009. The East window of the North aisle shows the risen Christ with St Mary Magdalene. This was installed in 1900. (see photo above).

In the churchyard to the southeast can be seen the base of a mediaeval cross.  This is a listed ancient monument, and predates the church by some time.  For more about this, see www.leighvillage.org.uk